Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mardi Gras...Well Sort Of...

The Three Stooges
Last night was Fat Tuesday.  In the bars, you could say it was amateur night.  All the people that never visit bars except during big 5 drinking holidays: New Years, Mardi Gras, St. Patty's Day, Cinco de Mayo and Halloween.  This of course leads to a lot of the crowd being quite obnoxious.  My buddy Adam was working the door and I met up with another old friend, Philip, to catch up a bit on old times.  As we were trying to sit back and talk over some beers, there was a group of redneck kids who must have been celebrating the success of their new film, The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.  They were yelling at each other, scrapping with each other and just acting like a bunch of dicks for the most part.  Aside from those yaywhos, the place was pretty chill.  I think all the Mardi Gras festivities were going on at the bar two doors down, Two Doors Down.  Anyhow, turns out there was a pretty cool band playing, The Defibulators.  I think they were out of Brooklyn.  These guys weren't what you'd typically expect to come out of Brooklyn.  They fit in perfectly in Maryville, Tennessee with a sort of bluegrassy, americana, old time jug band sound.  They are definitely worth a listen if you get a chance.  We hung around for their first set and had a few more beers before splitting.



It's been pretty awesome to catch up with my friends back home.  I think this trip back to East Tennessee has been the most productive that I've had yet!  No real agenda, just going with the flow of things.  I hope to return home with that same mindset and see how I can better my future that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment