Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's Hammer Time...



Last night was the first of many Tuesday Night World Championship rides.  Now that the time change has occurred, we've got enough daylight to bust out 40+ miles in the evening.  Well, last night felt like we've been riding all season.  We had a super strong group of about 10 or so guys, several of which this was my first time riding with.  The group left out around 4:45pm and a little less than 2 hours later, we were back.  The first half of the ride had a pretty intense headwind and several good climbs.  The second half of the ride, we were able to organize a steady rotating paceline that helped us make up the pace.  Several sprints were thrown in along with a nice breakaway led by Kurt P. and Matthew R.  These two guys were beasts last night!  Kurt has always been fast but this year he is nearly untouchable!  Anyhow, our group covered 42 miles with a 21.3 mph average.  I was quite impressed by the improvements that a lot of the guys have made over the last year.  I definitely look forward to the upcoming Tuesday Night rides in the future.

Today looks like some rain is coming in.  I'll load up my pack and hit my routine commuter route regardless.  With the weather we've been having lately, I think a nice rain ride is in order.  Unfortunately, I don't think my classmates are going to enjoy sitting next to a dripping wet Jimmy.  Anytime I ride in the rain, I just try to imagine that I'm racing in the 1994 Paris-Roubaix.  That was one hell of a race!
Sean Yates - 1994 Paris-Roubaix

No comments:

Post a Comment