Friday, December 24, 2010

Happy Holidays...

I may have talked about this before but I don't really get too caught up in the whole Christmas thing.  To me, it's just another day in the uneventful life.  With that said, my holiday season will be spent riding the bikes and enjoying the company of my wife during her time off from work.

Yesterday, I got a start to my mountain biking "marathon".  My buddy Koonce and I hit the trails at AEDC.  This was my first visit to this trail system.  I was instantly hooked!  AEDC is in no way a difficult trail.  There are about 13 miles of single track and some additional fire roads all in a dense pine/hardwood forest.  The terrain is pretty rolling with a lot of bermed turns.  The best part about this layout was just hitting the trail and riding as fast we could without getting too caught up on our technical skills.  The entire time I was out there riding, I kept dreaming of bringing the CX bike out.  This place would be perfect to do a little cross workout.  Overall, I was really pleased with the AEDC trail and I look forward to another visit soon.

On the note of CX, I think my season is pretty much over.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I will not be doing the Columbia CX race in January.  Unless some money happens to fall in my lap, I may not be able to make it to the State Championship race weekend either.  Reality sucks sometimes but I have had a great season!  I won the "Cross The Way" series and had an all right finish at Sewanee Cross.  A lot of new friendships have blossomed since moving to Tennessee and I look forward to the many rides to come in the new year!  

So, yeah, I'm bummed that my CX season is pretty much over.  I got serious with myself back in March and set some goals.  You see, I weighed 250 pounds in March 2010.  I was unhealthy and insecure with myself and riding ability.  I lost over 70 pounds over the course of the year and committed myself to "training" for a goal to race CX this year.  I accomplished every cycling goal that I set out for myself and beyond!  I am happy.  The New Year will bring with it another set of goals and many more miles on the bike!  I hope that 2011 will be as good of a year as 2010.  Even though I am bummed with the fact that my CX season is over, I am satisfied with how everything turned out.  Next year I will plan to race more CX races and possibly chase points for the State Championship.  

This is what I'm happy about this time of year.  I can reflect back on my life as the year ends and be satisfied.  I don't have to spend $100, $200 or any amount of money to get this satisfaction.  This satisfaction comes from hard work and perseverance.  I have an amazing wife who was supported me with my goals and has stood by me to cheer me at my races.  I am thankful!

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment