Friday, February 11, 2011

Brrr...

It has been pretty freakin' cold around my way lately!  It's almost to the point that I'm starting to get tired of it.  I have remained pretty tough throughout the winter and not missed a riding opportunity yet!  However, there is a point when enough is enough!  Yesterday, we had some snow that canceled my morning classes.  Instead of commuting into campus, I replaced those commuter miles with a ride in the snow on my CX bike (All City Nature Boy).  The roads through my neighborhood were mostly iced over so I rode the sidewalks and in the grass until I got to the greenway.  The greenway had a nice 1 inch layer of crispy snow covering it.  Of course, there was not a soul out there.  As I was pedaling along, I decided to take a little detour off the side.  You see, there is some small farm plots that parallel the greenway on the Southwest side of town.  I hoped onto the snow covered dirt road and made my way over to an old dilapidated barn.  This place was pretty cool.  I snapped a few pictures and hopped back on the bike to warm up again.  The temps at this point were hovering around 15 degrees.  Of course, my goatee and mustache iced over.  I got in about 20 miles during the out and back on the greenway.  That was about all my body could take of those temperatures.

Greenway Bridge

Inside the barn looking out
Cannons at the Stones River Battlefield

Well, this morning class is back in session as normal.  I hopped on the bike to start my typical commute.  My Garmin bike computer read 5 degrees Fahrenheit when I started my commute!  I decided to take the short route to campus which was only 5 miles.  By the time I got to campus, my mustache and goatee were completely iced over and the edges of my lips were starting to freeze.  That was one of the most painful bike rides I have ever experienced!  Luckily the temperatures are supposed to warm up into the 30's today and into the 50's by Sunday.  I'm not going to lie when I say that I'm ready for the warmer weather! 

No comments:

Post a Comment